Ongoing Initiatives & Sub-Committees
Tikkun Olam Committee
The Tikkun Olam Committee welcomes new and returning members. Our work is to contribute to social justice efforts locally and beyond. Read the regular JCA Tikkun Olam emails to learn more about current initiatives, activities, opportunities and actions. Reach out to co-chairs, Judith Souweine (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Amy Rothenberg (DrAmyRothenberg@gmail.com) with any questions or if you would like to join our efforts. We meet the third Thursday of each month, and Zoom attendance will remain an option.
The principles are part of the JCA Bylaws and inform and guide our efforts:
- Oseh Shalom (Making Peace) – cultivating deep and respectful listening across social and idealogical divides
- V’ger lo tilkhats (Do not Oppress the Stranger) – responding to manifestations of racism, anti-Semitism, xenophobia, Islamaphobia, etc.
- B’tselem elohim (In the Image of God) – responding to discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity
- Shivvon (Egalitarianism) – advocating for women’s issues
- Ladonay ha’aretz um’lo’o (The Earth is the Lord’s) – focusing on environmental issues
- Ahavat Yisrael (Love of Israel) – focusing on issues related to Israel and global Jewry
- Tzedek tzedek tirdof (Pursuing Justice) – focusing on poverty and related issues
- B’riyut (Wellness) – focusing on issues related to healthcare access
- Shalom bayit (Peace in the Home) – focusing on issues related to immigrants in our midst